Over the past few weeks, The Elevator Speech featured the Gold Circle Award finalists in advance of the 2013 TOBY/Gold Circle Awards Gala. So far, we’ve profiled three finalists for Gold Circle Awards – which honor individual excellence within Chicago’s commercial real estate community – in the Property Management Professional of the Year, Security Professional of the Year and Building Engineer of the Year categories. Today we conclude with profiles of the Emerging Leader of the Year and Affiliate Member of the Year finalists.
The Gold Circle Award for Emerging Leader of the Year recognizes members with less than five years of experience in the commercial real estate industry who make a positive impact on BOMA/Chicago and the commercial real estate industry. The three 2012-2013 finalists are:
- Patty Hanley, U.S. Equities – Patty has taken advantage of professional development opportunities within BOMA/Chicago by becoming a LEED Green Associate, participating in Brown Bag Lunches and using education resources to complete her RPA designation. Her commitment to philanthropy is also extensive, including collecting gifts for 65 families each year for the Salvation Army Angel Tree program, managing a coat drive for the local YMCA chapter and participating in the annual Comer Kids’ Classic for the University of Chicago Children’s Hospital.
- Lucas Schlemmer, Tishman Speyer – Lucas is an Emerging Leader ambassador to BOMA/Chicago’s Emergency Preparedness Committee and will become chairperson of the Emerging Leaders Subcommittee this year. He recently joined the management team at the CME Center to oversee exterior building renovations, elevator modernizations and build-outs of multiple floors. He earned the RPA designation, Illinois Brokers’ License and LEED Green Associate certification.
- Julie Welter, Jones Lang LaSalle – After spending six years as an officer in the United States Navy, Julie begin her career in property management with JLL at the Hyatt Center. Her contributions to the industry have grown, and she recently was promoted to vice president and is the general manager of 550 West Adams. She supports the commercial real estate industry by participating in BOMA/Chicago’s Diversity/Corporate Social Responsibility Committee, which plans the annual Diversity Celebration, and serving on the Social Marketing Committee.
The Gold Circle Award for Affiliate Member of the Year honors individuals employed by a BOMA/Chicago Affiliate member company that provide building members of BOMA/Chicago with superior customer service and professional expertise. This year’s finalists are:
- Mark Kexel, Titan Security Services – Mark is vice president of operations for Titan Security Services, a full-service security firm, where he manages security services for numerous property management companies’ portfolios and oversees 850 security officers, supervisors and corporate management team members. He is the first affiliate member to be selected as vice-chair of the BOMA/Chicago Security Committee.
- Sandra Melton, Eurest Services – Sandra is a senior vice president at leading janitorial services provider Eurest Services and is responsible for the organization’s Chicago, Memphis, Louisville and Detroit portfolio. In addition to affiliations with IFMA, RPSM, ISSA and BSCAI, she serves on BOMA/Chicago’s Membership Committee and participates in key BOMA/Chicago events to promote client relationships and further her property management education.
- James Taff, Premier Security Corporation – After beginning his career more than 25 years ago as a security officer, James rose through the ranks, purchased the company and now serves as Chief Executive Officer of Premier Security Corporation, a provider of contract security officer programs for properties throughout metropolitan Chicago. James played an integral role during the NATO Summit, where he diligently monitored his 35 client sites and regularly communicated vital updates to all of locations.
All 15 Gold Circle Award finalists are accomplished professionals who have demonstrated outstanding service to Chicago’s commercial real estate community. We’re looking forward to next Thursday’s TOBY/Gold Circle Award Gala where we will unveil the winners in each of the five categories! How do you recognize individual excellence within your organization?